Monday, August 25, 2008

Have You Ever Had One Of Those Days?

I think if I had just stayed at school my day would have continued on its merry way uninterrupted. It was a good day. I was a little tired from staying up to watch the closing ceremonies, but I had a good morning and got to the bus stop really early. I even had enough time to order breakfast from the bread man for one of the other teachers. My students behaved well and worked hard. It was a great day.

The end of the day came, and I loaded on the bus with the other new teachers bound for an office to officially register our presence here. After 45 minutes in traffic, we arrived at our destination optimistic that this would be a quick trip. However, a brief look at the waiting area, already almost full, and our service number (in the 90's when the current windows displayed 60's), and we knew we were in for a long wait. It wasn't the fault of the office, or really anyone else, we just underestimated what was involved. So we sat and waited as the time ticked away. Very quickly it became obvious that things were more precarious than originally thought. The office closed at 5 pm. It was now 4:30 pm and the numbers were only in the 70's by now. We were hopeful that somehow it might all work out and get to the 90's before we were forced to leave. It didn't happen. We will have to return tomorrow. We will leave at 12 noon to ensure that we get business done before closing.

Another 45 minutes and lots of traffic later I was dropped off at my gate and strangely desirous of a cold Sprite. I don't know exactly why, but that was the craving so I went to the sidestore confident that at least I could find what I craved. The first one didn't have any that were cold so I walked further to the next shop. No cold Sprite there either, so I settled for a warm one and started towards home.

Finally, I was home and could relax. Nope. A quick look at my floor revealed something was out of sorts. First I noticed that all the floor tiles in one area had changed colors as though they were thoroughly wet. Next, I saw the large puddle of water covering an area which was 17 ft. by 4 ft. A quick inspection located the problem. My water cooler, which is my only source of drinking and cooking water, was leaking water profusely. I had asked for an 18.6 litre bottle of water to be ordered and installed today. It should have been full, but instead all but 3 litres was currently sitting on my floor. I sprang into action. Gingerly walking through it, careful not to slip on the slippery stone tiles (yes, my floor is slippery stone too). I grabbed the bucket and mop. At first the job seemed never ending, more pushing of water than anything else. Slowly, progress was attained and most of the water found its way into my mop bucket, now a dirty brown color. It's days like these when you become very appreciative of a good mop.

Looking at the clock and the water cooler, I realized that if I didn't act fast I would be stuck without drinking water and with a leaking bottle which was hemorrhaging the remaining three litres at a fast pace. I grabbed my phone and called the water shop. I told the man (in Chinese) that today I bought a new water bottle from him, but it was broken. Then I asked him to come deliver a new bottle. He asked my address. I thought I told him correctly, but when he corrected me I second guessed myself thinking I had said part of it wrong. I repeated what he said, though I knew that the first character was for water and what he was telling me was not water. I figured it was a difference between Sichuanhua and Mandarin. Then the man asked for my phone number. One problem, I was on my cell phone and couldn't look up my number (don't have that memorized yet). I asked him to wait while I looked. I searched for a paper that might have it written down, but to no avail. By this time the poor man on the phone was convinced I didn't understand him and told me in English, "Phone number." I told him that I had just moved and had forgotten my phone number. Finally he said he would send someone over.

As I waited, I continued to wipe and mop around the water cooler. Time passed and no one arrived. That sinking feeling you get when you think something is wrong started. More time passed and finally my phone rang. It was the water shop telling my address was wrong. I tried to repeat it again and was firmly told that it was wrong. Frustrated I had to fall back on the old stand-by which was to call my friend and co-teacher, Guili. I explained the situation and pleaded with her to call the water shop and clear things up. She was glad to do so, but I was mortified to have to call her in the first place and especially after school. Soon the water man arrived bottle in hand. He took the old one off and installed the new one and the leaking stopped. You can't imagine how happy I was. As I had waited I had considered the idea that it wasn't the bottle but my water cooler which was faulty. Replacing a bottle is one thing, but replacing the water cooler would have been much more difficult. I breathed a sigh of relief and gave thanks for the simple solution to a big problem. It was just one of those days.

No comments: